I totally learned to quilt! Well, am learning to quilt. It is actually way hard. I think I need a bigger surface area.
Me. Quilting! So awesome!
After the terrible time I had of life last spring, I decided that I needed to stop reading and pick up other hobbies. I have never had a lot of talents or hobbies in life. I actually dread the question "so tell me about yourself" or "what do you do." I don't have a lot of confidence when it comes to my ability to create. I am not sure where it came from, but I am completely convinced of my own incapability and lack of creativity and usefulness. I get bogged down in the impossibility of my ideas before I even start. This lack of confidence is exacerbated by my love of reading. Reading is the one thing I am truly, truly good at. I am not a great reader, I am not reading great books nor do I read them quickly, my greatness at reading comes from sheer quantity rather than quality.
Reading is a compulsion for me. I generally read 5-10 books a month with the only exception being a couple months during the last year of law school. Oh, and I am fairly good at school. School just comes naturally to me. But that makes sense, because most school is just reading (or at least the school I do...no hard sciences for me). When it comes time to actually use that knowledge however, I am a complete basket case. I have a lot of interests, ideas, projects running around in my head, but whenever I think about actually acting on those ideas I run aground with two thoughts, "I am just not creative or capable enough to do that" and "I would rather be reading."
Since we've moved to Norfolk and I have been truly a stay-at-home mom in the most complete and total sense of the word. I think I have time alone outside of the house at most 1 hour a month and depending on the year, not even that. I stay at home. I am a mom. Those are the only two things I could say about myself that didn't reference something that was actually my husband's life or my kid's life. I started plunging into an absolute funk which got pretty bad last spring. I finally realized where I was heading and knew I needed to actually do something with my life. I adore my children, I adore being home with them, but what use am I if I allow myself to waste away into a complete and utter non-entity? What kind of an example is that for my children?
I realized that I am capable of teaching myself things. I am capable of learning outside of school and without a teacher. I don't have to be afraid of failure, because no one is watching and no one cares. I don't want to get to the end of my life and realize that I have spent my life reading about other people's lives rather than living my own.
So this past year, I have tried really hard to act on my ideas. If I find myself thinking, I can't do that, it is too hard, I don't know how, I am not creative enough, or it won't be as good as all the other ones I see around me, I take that as my cue to start working on it.
The worst thing that could happen is that it totally sucks and at least then I will be able to figure out what went wrong and what not to do again.
I have created a blog of awesome things (a phrase coined by James) so that I can have a reason to document the things I work on that I personally consider achievements. I know that they are not as fabulous achievements as many of the people in my life (I know a lot of truly accomplished people) but they mean something to me and keep the darkness at bay and having a place to go to look at my "stuff" and to feel pleased with the person I am creating is a good thing for me.
My new Blog of Awesome Things can be found here if any of you want to share in my "stuff."

9 comments:
You just said what so many moms want to say... but can't find the words to say. I can relate to you on so many levels. :)
I think you are amazing.... and you have some mad quilting skills!
I also dread the "what do you do" question. I read, but I haven't in awhile. and It's lame to just do school stuff. But maybe in time I can do awesome things too. Love you
Buffy- That is awesome! I am with you on the feeling like I have no talents.... especially when I have such accomplished musical siblings. Maybe I will have to try my hand at sewing....
You are so.....well I can't think of the word. You have done a great many projects. Your projects are much more complicated than anythink I've every tried. Your cakes--more beautiful; your quilts--more complicated; the sewing you've done for your children equals or tops anything I have done. So you are creative, and capable. There you go.
You are so.....well I can't think of the word. You have done a great many projects. Your projects are much more complicated than anythink I've every tried. Your cakes--more beautiful; your quilts--more complicated; the sewing you've done for your children equals or tops anything I have done. So you are creative, and capable. There you go.
I just went and looked at everything you have posted on your Blog of Awesome Things, and I am blown away. You are incredible. I am glad you are overcoming the dark doubts that stop us from doing creative things, because you are making things that make the world a better place.
Oh and I have to say, when I saw your picture up there I thought "Two by two, hands of blue." Sinister quilter, you are.
Buffy, your thoughts here represent the thoughts of 90% of all women I have known--often the most talented, creative ones too! Your parents are right, and I was reminded reading what they wrote, that you attempt and achieve, successfully and so impressively, so many things! The only thing you lack is a CONSTANT, MATURE AUDIENCE and FAN CLUB CLOSE BY to extoll your wonderful uniqueness, beauty, talent, and success! If you EVER doubt those things about yourself, just come to visit us in NC and SC, put down the book, and let us reassure you! We love you!
By the way, this is the first time I have read any blogs in months, and, as always, you, Sara, and Jean just melt my heart with your wonderful way with words and professional-looking, beautiful, one-of-a-kind pictures! These blogs are priceless!
Amanda
My goodness, Buffy! I just visited your Blog of Awesome Things, and you just negated here all those "dark" thoughts you had. No sympathy from me, girl!
Love,
Amanda
You are awesome. I was reading your post and thinking how funny it is that you don't feel creative. I always think you have great ideas and are always doing something fun and interesting (and, may I add, that you aren't nearly as messy as me--and it makes me just a tad bit jealous!)
Post a Comment