Monday, March 30, 2009

We Want Cake! Where's Our Cake!

I love making birthday cakes, as many of you know. This year I tried my hand at the marshmallow fondant I've been seeing and hearing about everywhere. Tim came home Sunday morning after his 24 hour Ob/Gyn call (they let him do all kinds of cool things, insemination, stitch up a c-section, deliver two babies--so much cooler than general surgery) and was so intrigued by the process that he forwent his much needed nap to help us out.

Tim has such a fun loving and vibrant personality that everything is a joy with him around and we had a fabulous time. Those of you who know Tim, know that he is a BIG proponent of the Least Amount of Work Possible way of doing things and so it was tons of fun to see him get so into something that was actually a great deal more work than necessary for a birthday cake (see I can admit it).

Eleanor found a bowl of Buttercream.
Last week I had Tim cut me a piece of PVC pipe for a rolling pin. After 9 years of domesticity we still don't have a rolling pin and I needed something more smooth than the cups I normally use. (Tim and I have a hard time not spending money on expensive things and a really hard time spending money on the small things. It is all about opportunity cost. That, and I hate cluttering up my kitchen.)
The cakes in various stages of the process. First the buttercream, then the rolled out fondant.
Gillian has been talking about having a Hello Kitty Party for almost a year now. I think hers is officially my favorite cake I've made (although I did also like the lady bug one she had for her 2d)

I got to experiment a little more with Eleanors.

**addendum: people have expressed interest in the wonderful world of marshmallow fondant. Click here to see the instructions I used to make the fondant and here to see a site that shows what fondant cakes are suppose to look like. Next time I might invest in the fancy shmancy tools necessary to get such clean cut lines on the cake.

11 comments:

Melissa said...

Buffy, you are so talented! Your cakes look sooooooooo good!

Rochelle said...

Those are amazing! Can you send me the recipe for the fondant? I'd like to try that for Gracie's party next week.

The O'Malleys said...

WOW!!! Don't ever let my family see what your birthday cakes look like :)

Melanie and Chauncey West said...

very awesome cakes! I have never tried fondat, was it hard? They look FANTASTIC!

Sara said...

Those are some gorgeous cakes Buffy! WOW! You should post the fondant recipe--those are some inspiring cakes. Does it taste good??

Unknown said...

Man you did an awesome job on those cakes - both are just so perfect! Fondant is so fun to play with huh? But what a beast to mix in all the colors... I get such sore arms whenever we make a fondant cake.

Valerie Russell said...

Really, those look so cute! The Hello Kitty one is adorable. Now I know where James and Charity get their cake-making ideas.

Tim Bunton said...

I am actually suprised at how much fun I had working on those cakes with you Buffy. And talk about delicious...

AJ said...

Those cakes are so perfect! If you made those for me I wouldn't be able to cut them, they are so beautiful!

Jean Leavitt said...

Oh my goodness! I can't believe that you made those!!! It has never even occured to me that you could make fondant, I always assumed people just buy it in a bucket because it's way too difficult for us to make at home. So exciting! :) You are amazing.

Monsivais Family said...

You are what I would like to call FAMOUS for your beautiful cakes!! nice job.