Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Oh Dear




































So the kids had their Allergist appointment yesterday and it looks like our life is going to change.

They actually have a lot of environmental allergies: all grasses, most trees, James is allergic to cats and Gillian to dust and mold (good thing she lives in a 70 year old house).

For foods they are both allergic to peanuts and treenuts and James is also allergic to soy and eggs. Sadly enough it turns out that soy is in almost all processed foods and all baked good have eggs. Even egg substitute is made from eggs, go figure. At least it isn't wheat and dairy--now that really would have been hard.

They are allergic to other foods as well, but not enough to warrant staying away from it according to their allergist. I am hoping it stays that way.

It turns out that the soy and egg allergies can be outgrown if you avoid them all together, so I think I will give it my best shot. James is being very mature about the whole thing and has taken instantly to label reading. Even 20% of nut allergies can be outgrown--wouldn't that be nice.

I just feel bad that my children have apparently been feeling bad their entire lives and just didn't know the difference. I am excited to start them on their allergy medicine for outdoors stuff to see if it makes a difference.

Do any of you have children with allergy issues? I would be interested in hearing your experiences.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh poor kids! I'm so sorry... that takes all the joy out of a fun day of baking cookies. I'll keep a lookout for good recipes that don't use those ingredients.

Rochelle said...

Poor little kiddos! After this last stint in the hospital (his asthma being triggered by a cat), they are going to do allergy testing on Lincoln. It will be interesting to see the results... I'll get back to you. Maybe we can compare recipes if Link is that bad!

Good luck!

Jessica said...

How do you get one of those? I want to see what mine looks like!!

Emily said...

Your poor kids! Not very fun for all of you. I really hope they can outgrow some of their allergies and that meds help a bit.

Jean Leavitt said...

Boohoo! That's so sad. Those poor little kids. I think Tim is to blame for a lot of this because I have a lot of the same allergies. Grass, Trees, dust, cats, and fruit and nuts are mine. How's the bread working? I feel for you, planning food around kids allergies is tough! Good luck Buffy.

Unknown said...

Let me know, Buffy, is your efforts to avoid the contraband make a huge difference. I sure hope they do!
Amanda